5 things that sabotage your e-commerce success

There are lots of options and competition in the online retail space, and with more and more purchases being completed on the web, you want to be part of it. Every opportunity you have with a possible customer should not be squandered. Here are a few simple tips to help make sure you don't loose the sale for simple mistakes.

1. Your Website or Store Isn’t Responsive

As phones and tablets are more capable of performing tasks that were only capable on a desktop, is is absolutely clear: browsing your website, getting feedback on social media and completing the online shopping purchase is being taken over by mobile. Providing a great user-experience across multiple devices and screen sizes is the most critical aspect of responsive web design. You maintain just one repository of products or services, while it delivers the best possible layout for the device being used to view it.

2. Your Content is Too Anything:

It’s generally not a good sign if your content is too:

  • Technical: Unless you’re talking to industry folks, customers almost always prefer a narrative over numbers or jargon. Pick one or two technical details to highlight and then put them into a narrative that consumers can understand, relate to, and envision.
  • Vague: “This wine is delicious!”
  • Flowery: “Dark cherries and lavender enrapture your senses like the velvet cloak of a heroic knight galloping through….” Whoa, whoa, whoa. We’re still talking about wine, right?
  • Lengthy: Modern attention spans being what they are, attempt to use no more than 150 words to describe your wine & winemaking process.

 

3. You Don’t Go After Abandoned Carts

Shopping cart abandonment is one of the most crucial problems for online retailers to overcome, and the extent of the problem is shocking. According to data from Listrak, a retail marketing firm that tracks shopping cart abandonment, the average rate at which the average consumer abandons their shopping cart before making a purchase is about 80%. Online retailers are losing money every day due to cart abandonment, but if you implement a few changes on your website you can help lower these numbers.

Before Cart Abandonment:

    Show Images

    Make Editing the Cart Easy

    Offer Multiple Payment Methods

    Avoid Registration to complete checkout

    Offer Price Guarantees and Refunds

After Cart Abandonment

  1. Ad Retargeting: Retargeting works by keeping track of people who visit your site and displaying your ads to them as they visit other sites online through the use of tracking cookies. If 3% of shoppers convert on the first visit, retargeting brings back the other 97%.
  2. Email Recovery Campaigns: For registered users, you setup personalized emails that get sent to a shopper when they don’t complete a purchase. You can create a series of emails that get sent to that customer at intervals within 1 week after they have abandoned the cart. By using shopping cart recovery emails, retailers have been able to recover 13% of their abandoned orders within days.

 

4. It’s Complicated

    You’re Not Clear About Shipping Pricing (#1 complaint in user surveys)

    If your checkout process is too complicated. Minimize the number of clicks needed to purchase.

    Add call-to-action buttons that make putting items into the cart very easy.

    Offer multiple payment & shipping options.

    Email customers tracking info and other updates about orders after purchase to help build brand confidence.

 

5. You’re Not Looking at the Data

With analytics, you get to know more about your customers, your products, and your website. You get an overview of what is working on your website and what is not. When you are running a physical store, you can analyze the popularity by looking at the foot traffic coming through the doors. However, for online marketplace owner, the only way to determine the same is to look at visitor analytics & tracking. This will certainly assist you in formulating a better digital marketing strategy.

As the old saying goes, "knowledge is power." When you are running an online business, data is your power and analytics tool provides you with that power. They enable you to make more informed decisions and produce the best possible results for your e-commerce store, by helping you optimize the process.